Friday, January 4, 2008

A picture perfect heaven

I thought I would share the conversation that took place on the way to school today. Let me begin with saying that ever since my grandma past away last April, the girls have been VERY curious about a lot of things...even things that Mommy's don't always have the best answer for. For example, a couple of months ago Ellie asked me if God chooses how you die. When I asked her to explain what she meant, she said "well you know how you said that only God knows WHEN you'll die? does he decide HOW you'll die...like will he make you drown in a river?" This one stumped me. How do explain to a six year old that yes God has the ultimate plan for each of us, but you also have your own free will to make good decisions as well (meaning don't go jump in a raging river!). So onto today...Lily is in the back seat and says "when you are in heaven can you breathe?". Considering that no on really knows the answers to any of these questions... I say yes. "Do you wear clothes in heaven?" Again, I say yes. Now you can guess where this is going..."can I wear my camo pants in heaven?" I smile and say yes (thinking those better not fit you when you go to heaven!) "Are there animals in heaven?" Yes. "But not real animals, animals like my Ashley (meaning her Webkinz pet)?" Yes those can be there too. "Mommy is there a sun in heaven?" I say absolutely...there's all the light you need. She then asks me to look in the rear view mirror as she is using her hands to draw like she would on a piece of paper and says "Like the round kind with the streaks coming off of it?" I get that she is describing the yellow sun that she draws at the top of her picture and the "streaks" are the rays. I laugh and wait for her to add that happy face that is usually on the sun as well, but she doesn't take it that far. I say yes, that sun is in heaven. She ends by telling me that Grandma June is in heaven taking care of Sketer (my old kitty I had growing up). As I watched her in the back seat I could see her imagination working and was amazed that at 8:00 in the morning my four year old daughter was drawing in her mind what her picture perfect heaven would be like. They say that children are born believers with an infinite amount of faith...today Lily proved that.

No comments: