Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Anne Frank


In the second grade each child has to study a "Great Person of History". Lily first chose Mother Mary (which is so sweet...she is definitely my spiritual one!) but after long thought and discovering how hard it is to research her since it was so long ago she decided on Anne Frank. I don't think either of us realized how many similarities Lily shared with Anne Frank but as I watched her today give her speech in front of her class I was so touched. She stood up there in a skirt with knee high socks and little Mary Jane's, a white blouse with a sweater over it, and we curled her hair to make it short like Anne's and clipped it back on the side like she did in so many of her pictures. Even to my surprise she had memorized the first two of her flashcards and started her speech with a big smile and looking everyone in the eyes. She explained the history and then described how much Anne loved writing and how she was such a happy girl despite her circumstances. That pretty much describes Lily as well! She has about ten different journals all over the house and car and between writing prayers and poems and drawing pictures (she loves art) they get filled up very quickly! And maybe it's a middle child thing but she is so laid back, easy going and always has a smile on her face. She is content to sit for hours working on a picture or making crafts (especially with Grandma!)and is the most independent seven year old I know. She has strong morals and sticks by them and she is a friend to anyone and everyone...a quiet leader. She told me the other night before bed that she was gong to be a great person and change the world...I wouldn't doubt it. But if I were making bets I would say she is most likely to change the world for some cute little animals...like saving all of them!


No comments: