Thursday, February 21, 2008

Birthday Wishes



So as you all know the 19th was my birthday and I have to tell you the girls are to that age where they actually GET it...and the things they think of to make it special is a present in itself! I started the day with very special cards that they had made (and a super sweet camera from Jamie c:). They then asked if they could stay home from school to spend the day with me for my birthday (now that may have just been an excuse to not go to school, which is really no different than any other day, but for sentimental purposes I will choose to believe it was a sweet gesture!) Jamie planned a fun day for us and had Nana watch Jalen and one of the girls teachers took them home from school so we could go to a movie and dinner. By the way, Juno is one of the BEST movies I have seen in a long time! When the girls came home they wanted to bake me a cake. Again, very thoughtful, but that would require A LOT of help on my part and I really was not up for a bit kitchen mess, and I do mean BIG! So I talked them into making me a birthday sundae to which they agreed...but only if they could do it all by themselves - scarry! A few minutes later they returned with a mug that Ellie had made me for Mother's Day last year (not sure why it was in a mug when we have super cute sundae bowls - their own creative touch I suppose!), with vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup and more sprinkles than the ice cream and syrup combined! They sang me Happy Birthday and then started whispering amongst each other. I could see their little minds working as they said "but Mommy we still have to get you a present". I said you just did...a sundae and your love is all I need. That was not the response they were looking for because they disappeared and came back a couple minutes later with random things they had found around the house (interesting idea when you are 4 and 6 and have no money to go shopping!) They handed me a candle that was half burned and an empty frame that had been sitting in the office for awhile. Well, at least they know my taste and what I like (although how can you go wrong when you re-gift things that I had already bought for myself - obviously I like them!) Anyway, it was so sweet to see how thoughtful they were and how they truly wanted to make my day special! Now Jalen is obviously completely unaware of my birthday, but he as well made my day special with his big kisses he loves to give and his never-ending smile...happiness really is contagious! So to my family...thank you for making my birthday such a special day!

No comments: