Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Special Mother's Day Luncheon






Every year we have a Mother's Day Luncheon at our church which the girls and I attend with my mom, my grandma and my sister. It is always a good time...good food, there is a cake walk for the kids, crowning of our Mother Mary statue and the kids get to make a craft for us during the guest speaker. Well...the reason this year was so special is because the guest speaker was my mom! I was shocked when she told me that she had been asked to speak...not that they had asked her but that she had said yes! My mom and I are a lot alike and neither one of us do well speaking in front of crowds of any kind! She worked on her speech over the course of many months and had me and my sister help her in the editing process. I had read it a couple times not to mention living through it and she still brought me to tears. She was sharing her journey of faith through the hard times with my sister and her addiction. My sister of course gave her permission to share her story. She did an amazing job and I wasn't the only one in tears...it was like she took us on a fast forward version of her ups and downs over 12 years. She called Lace up at the end to introduce her and Lace did just as great in the few words that she said. It was moving, inspirational and a true feel good story. I recorded the speech, which made my mom even more nervous I'm sure...but I'm glad I did...it is something that someday will be pretty cool to share with our kids. Speaking of kids...Ellie didn't hear the speech because she was in doing her craft but at the end she saw everyone coming up to my mom and my sister hugging them and telling them how moved they were so she clued in that she had missed something. Now Ellie is not the most patient person...mix that with her very persistant personality and she kept asking and asking and would not let it go when we told her that someday when she was older Lacey and Grandma would share the story with her. She finally gave up on asking us and when I looked around for her I saw her over talking to Father Bill. On our way out Father Bill stopped me and told me that Ellie figured since he was a priest he had to be honest so she asked him what her Grandma had talked about. He of course told her to ask her mom. He thought that was pretty funny!

No comments: